History/Profile

Katunga South Primary School (KSPS) is situated 8 km north of Numurkah.

Katunga South Primary School is a small co-educational school located in the farming district of Katunga, 8 kilometres north of Numurkah. The school has a long and proud history of providing education to the Katunga community since the school was opened 133 years ago in 1880.  The school community takes pride in the role the school plays in the life of the students and families at the school and there is a strong home school partnership evident.

The school encourages children to develop personal characteristics of self-worth, good citizenship, and mutual respect for individual needs and differences.  Regular evaluation of programs aims to ensure that Katunga South Primary School is friendly, caring and safe and that the children’s learning is engaging, relevant, rewarding and challenging.  Katunga South Primary School places emphasis on the development of student literacy, numeracy and technical skills through differentiated learning experiences in English, Maths, Science and Technology.  Personal development is nurtured through Health and Physical Education, Studies of Society and Environment, Library, Art/Craft and the Arts.  The school’s “Language other than English” is French.

Four specific curriculum initiatives include a DEECD funded Art/Craft program (MACC Van), Book Van with Library Teacher (MARC Van), a specialist Music program and the “Active Sport” personal physical development program.

The staff are experienced, professional, and dedicated to achieving the best possible outcomes for their students. The achievement of such outcomes is supported by professional development programs and regular cluster meetings, which keep staff and parents abreast of current trends in education.

The parent body, through the School Council, is actively involved with the smooth running of the school.  An informal, friendly and co-operative relationship exists between parents and staff.

The main school building was built in 1902, and has been refurbished to maintain its historical exterior, while providing students with the latest in technological facilities.  In 2010 we received a new classroom as part of the ‘Building the Education Revolution’ process.  This building houses our senior classroom and is used for whole school functions.  The school is well resourced with excellent playground facilities.  In keeping with the rural environment, a pine and metal playground complex has been installed under cover, along with the shaded barbecue area which is well utilised to promote school and community interaction.

A native bush garden and well maintained grounds complete a picturesque setting which saw the school win the regional ‘Keep Australia Beautiful Tidy Schools Award’ in 1992, the inaugural Numurkah Schools’ Garden Award in 2002 and an Achievement Award for the Victorian Schools Garden Awards in 2008. In 2010 we were a Category 1 winner in the Victorian Schools Garden Awards.

The staff, parents and students of Katunga South Primary School are expected to demonstrate responsible behaviour, respect the rights of others and to consider the feelings of other at all times.  The school is well serviced with the technology requirements to expand even further into this new century and offers students advanced technology skills. The students have access to the Internet, multi-media software and the latest library, equipment and class resources to enrich their learning.

We strive to offer progressive education opportunities in partnership with the whole school community and will continue to encourage participation, aptness and equal opportunity in a caring environment.